The School of Belonging Women's* Retreat ~ San Diego, CA
With Special Guest Teacher, Katie Dove
*For women and female-identifying people.
You're invited to retreat with us, bathing in the Field of Belonging for a weekend to emerge refreshed, clear, connected, and more whole.
Belonging is our birthright, yet isolation has often been our experience.
We want to feel a part of something. We want to feel attuned to. Seen, heard, and understood. Connected, inspired, and nourished by our connections with our fellow humans. Free to be ourselves.
Belonging is what heals our isolation and our shame. It ushers in oxytocin (the love hormone) and clears out our stress chemistry, brings us directly into the present moment, and helps us see our "problems" through more creative eyes, so we can find solutions through our own inner knowing.
Belonging helps us access our deep well of compassion for ourselves and others so that we can see ourselves with clear vision. When we belong, we see the uniqueness we are, and simultaneously, we feel our own story as universal, relatable, and connected with our sisters.
At this Retreat, we cultivate the Field of Belonging through a new kind of women's circle. One where we practice with the ancient traditions of a sharing circle, but infuse it with modern-day relational teachings and an abundance of respectful touch. Rather than "figuring out" or "solving our issues" using our minds, we go deep and feel with our whole bodies; we use Belonging as the container inside of which to receive guidance, intuition, and insights that help us heal and transform.
In a well-held Women's Circle, we all come from different places, yet we all get what we need.
About the Practices + Retreat
- During this retreat, you'll learn the Practice of Belonging---how to cultivate this feeling state and how to use it, both to connect with your sisters and loved ones and also to gain precious clarity about your own life. (So in this way, this retreat doubles as a relationship training).
- The Women's Circle practices involve speaking, listening, and reflecting from the heart and each woman will have choice around how much she engages. (Both introverted and extroverted ways are welcome and respected).
- The theme for this retreat is Belonging/Isolation, so that's the jumping-off point for our shares, discussions, inner work, etc. However, your journey will be unique---your own process, life content, and insights will emerge organically as we weave our experiences and stories together. Meaning that each woman will come in carrying something different---your marriage, a childhood wound, desire for community or spiritual connection, or anything else that rises up. All of it is welcome.
- We use boundary-respecting touch, movement, meditation, ritual, and small-group time to integrate, digest, and metabolize our experiences and insights so they can be put to practical use in our lives. Katie Dove is our Special Guest Teacher this time around, focusing on touch.
- There will also be plenty of time for open discussions, questions, and teachings.
- While each woman's experience will differ, our focus is on cultivating a feeling state of Belonging, so you can expect this retreat to be nourishing, connecting, revelatory, and restful.
- Important: While this retreat is definitely therapeutic and healing, and while I'm a trained and practicing psychotherapist, this retreat is not therapy. If you're feeling psychologically unstable or if you're going through a major crisis, this retreat is probably not for you at this time. I recommend therapeutic support instead.
It's my great honor to retreat with you. Sign-up info is below.
The Retreat Format
This retreat is designed to provide gentle support and holding for you to explore your relationship with both belonging and isolation and ultimately, to help you feel a sense of belonging deep in your bones---while also deepening your rest, relaxation, and sense of connection. We soak up more and more nourishment along the way.
The weekend is made of up four main practices that we weave in and out of each day:
- Open Circle provides a time for full-group sharing, connecting, and listening based on The Practice of Belonging, which you'll learn Friday night.
- Touch helps us go deeper by working with our internal chemistry. Adgenda-free, meaningful touch produces oxytocin, the belonging hormone, and our Special Guest Teacher, Katie Dove, will be guiding us in our touch practice for the weekend.
- Small Groups provide a more intimate place to share, listen, and connect, and to work with a specific prompt.
- Meditation helps us stay slooooow together, breathe deeply, and integrate.
Music also supports us in our touch and meditation practices.
May 4--6, 2018
Saturday 10-6 (with a 90-minute lunch break)
Sunday 10-4 (with a 90-minute lunch break)
Duomo Gardens---4796 West Mountain View Dr. San Diego, CA 92116
Fly into San Diego International
$275 prior to April 13th, $350 after
There are no refunds. Price does not include food or lodging.
Just click the yellow PayPal button below and follow the prompts to register.
What Previous Retreat Participants Have Said:
"It was hard to leave! I wanted to stay in that feeling and energy and bonding and comfort!"
"I feel more free, strong, and centered in my own body and power. Also learned so much from the other women at the retreat. I feel lighter and more open to blessings, opportunities, and ways to belong."
"Love the grounded space you created and just the ease and non-rushed feeling."
" I feel more of an ease, like there are less barriers to my belonging. I know feel like I don't have to *TRY* so hard. I felt before like I had to hustle for belonging, like it was an audition or an interview that left me feeling constantly stressed. And then, I just brought me to the retreat and somehow, even in my simple, unadorned me-ness, I was welcomed."
"I did not know what to expect out of the retreat, but trusted that you would lead me through an amazing journey of self discovery, finding my edges, listening/learning from others and I was blown away at just how much I needed this right now, how big of an issue this was/is in my life, and I feel so much lighter and more confident to move forward in my life. As always, you are such a light and so helped me grow over the weekend. I am truly thankful and would do it again! :)"
"The touch we shared with each other was especially powerful."
"The soundtrack was carefully curated and really lifted the whole weekend."
If you have questions for me (Laura), please fill out the form below or call me at 303.862.2130.
The Retreat Facilitators
About Laura, The School of Belonging Founder
I've been running Women's Groups for over 10 years now and currently host at least 6 groups a month. I cherish the Women's Circle for it's ability to show us who we are, offer precious insights, open our hearts, and create a deep and abiding sense of Belonging that grounds our lives in connection rather than isolation. I'm also a Somatic Psychotherapist + Couple's Counselor in Private Practice focusing on relationships.
After 15 years of offering myself in a leadership role more times than I can count, the culmination of all of that facilitation work came through last Spring, when I established The School of Belonging, realizing that I could actually teach people how to access a deep sense of connection and use it to heal.
I stand on the shoulders of my many teachers, grateful for the blossoming of my own work, which is of course informed by what I've learned with them in addition to my own process.
About Katie, our Teacher of Touch
Katie Dove is a somatic therapist, intuitive guide, healer, and mystic who has been exploring esoteric teachings and mystery schools for over two decades. She guides her clients and students into an empowered embodiment and has long been a teacher of touch. Her methods weave a mixture of experiences she has collected over the years and modalities she has cultivated herself. Katie offers exploration in voice, touch, vibration and sound, dance, and movement. She encourages one to attune to their internal potency and magnetism that attracts people, activities, and communities who support their true nature. Katie is passionate about creating intimacy, a space for sharing deep connection and a sense of belonging. She loves witnessing people welcome presence into their lives.
Just click the yellow PayPal button below and follow the prompts to register.
If you're unable to make this retreat, but feel called to ongoing Women's Groups in Boulder, CO, click here.